Rescue from Vehicles in WaterSpecialized training.
The course explores the advanced swiftwater and technical rope rescue techniques necessary when responding to incidents involving vehicles in moving water. The curriculum includes vehicle behaviour, vehicle stabilization, and risk mitigation, as well as access techniques and casualty extrication. It features a secure in-water training vehicle in a controlled river environment for a realistic learning experience. Meets and exceeds NFPA 1670 and 1006 requirements as well as Canadian WCB and OHS standards.
This advanced course is specially-designed for those already certified to the Swiftwater Rescue Technician level (current certification required). It was developed by Rescue 3 International and offered for the first time in Canada in September 2012.
Duration: 1 day (8 hours)
Format: Based in a controlled river environment.
Participants: Minimum 8. Maximum 12.
Annual Training Maintenance: Click here to read about the options available for annual guided practice.
Recertification: Repeat the course.
- 18+ years of age
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
- Current SRT 1 or SRT Advanced certification (or equivalent)
- Drysuit or wetsuit*
- Personal flotation device (Type III or V)*
- Water-sports helmet*
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole, wading boots, or running shoes
- Head lamp
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including sweater, pants and socks
- To develop an understanding of the techniques required for stabilization of vehicles in water.
- To develop the skills and knowledge necessary to extricate casualties from vehicles in water.
- Field Guide: Rescue from Vehicles in Water
- Personalized skill sheet (training record) signed by the instructor (a valuable document for risk management)
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Wallet card with personal Rescue 3 registration number and date of certification
- Certificate of Completion
Day 1: River session
- Theory of in-water vehicle behaviour
- Hazard assessment
- Vehicle stabilization & risk mitigation
- Vehicle stabilization
- Access techniques
- Casualty extrication techniques
FAQs - Swiftwater Rescue Courses
More details about swiftwater courses including what to expect and how to prepare. Click here for our Swiftwater FAQ.